Many homes in Texas are built using a slab foundation. These foundations are incredibly durable and can last for decades when they are properly constructed and maintained. While many homeowners don’t realize you need to maintain your foundation, it is an important part of keeping your foundation in good condition. DuraTech Texas, LLC is here to share some maintenance tips to help you keep your slab safe from damage.
How Do You Protect Your Slab Foundation from Water, Cracking & Other Problems
In order to protect your slab foundation, you need to take some things into consideration and learn how to maintain it. By taking a few preventative steps, you can avoid costly mistakes made to your slab foundation. Here are our best tips to help you preserve your slab.
– Keep Foundation Evenly Moist: Many people may not know this, but when the soil around the foundation of your home gets too dry, it can cause foundation issues. This is due to the fact that the soil is shrinking and not providing your foundation with needed support.
– Too Much Water Around Foundation is Bad: While too little moisture is going to do damage to the foundation, too much of it isn’t a good thing either. When the soil is too saturated, it can cause the foundation to shift and buckle. You need to make sure the gutter system on your home is in good working order to avoid too much water. You should also have landscaping drains installed.
– Plant Trees Away from Home’s Foundation: You should take great care in where you plant your trees. It is better for them to be at least 20 feet away from the foundation of your home as the root systems can cause problems for your foundation down the road. When you do have a tree that you want planted closer to your home, it is wise to put a root barrier around it to control the roots and keep them far from your home.
– Call a Plumber to Check for Leaks: It is important that you have your plumbing checked every year to make sure there isn’t a leak somewhere that is causing pooling water you aren’t aware of. This is a good way to not only make sure your plumbing is in good working order, but your foundation is protected from too much moisture as well.
– Keep Proper Grading Around Foundation: There is a certain grade that you need around the foundation of your home. This is essential to having proper drainage. If you are concerned about the grade around your home, call a grading contractor to help.
Foundation Inspections, Repair Services & More in Crosby, Cypress, Friendswood & Greater Houston, Texas
If you have a slab foundation that you are concerned about, you can rely on the professionals at DuraTech Texas, LLC to help you get it right again. We specialize in repairing slab foundations and will help ensure your home has the structural support it needs for the safety of your family. Call us today!