When you think about your home and what it takes to maintain it, are you thinking about its foundation? If you don’t have foundation maintenance on your list, you should. What many homeowners don’t understand is that when it comes to their foundation, there are some things that they can do to ensure they don’t run into problems with it down the road. DuraTech Texas is here to share some tips to help you maintain your home’s foundation and avoid foundation problems.
How Do You Prevent Foundation Settlements & Other Problems?
Following are some things that homeowners can do that will have a big impact on the health of their foundation.
– Keep Soil Moist: The moisture level in your soil has a lot to do with the health of your foundation. When you have clay soil that is without moisture, it starts to contract and won’t be able to offer your foundation the support it needs.
– Monitor Drainage: Likewise, you need to make sure there isn’t too much moisture around your home’s foundation either. When there is too much water in the soil around your foundation, it can create static pressure that will cause the walls to start to cave in. This is why drainage is so important around your home. Make sure the ground slopes away from your house to avoid running into draining issues.
– Monitor Plumbing: The plumbing in your home can cause problems too if it isn’t maintained properly. If you have a plumbing issue that goes unnoticed, you might wind up with foundation problems as well. Keep a close eye on the plumbing in your house so that you can ensure that a leak or broken pipe doesn’t cause foundation trouble.
– Watch Tree Roots: Another common cause of foundation problems come from tree roots that have broken through the walls of your foundation. They can also grow underneath slab foundations and cause heaving. Make sure there aren’t trees that are planted too close to your house.
– Look Out for Damage: You need to keep an eye out for any cracks or bowing that is happening with your home’s foundation. When it comes to foundation problems, the sooner you catch any issues, the better.
– Low Flower Beds: While it might look nice to have flower beds lining the front of your home, make sure they are lower than your foundation. You should also make sure that they are sloped away from the house to ensure proper drainage. Also, don’t plant any plants too close to the house as the roots can cause issues if they are invasive and break through your foundation.
Foundation Repair Services & More in Crosby, Cypress, Friendswood & Greater Houston, Texas
If you are worried about your home’s foundation, you can turn to DuraTech Texas to come and check things out. If you do have a foundation that needs to be repaired, you can count on us to get your foundation fixed. We have the experience and expertise needed to ensure your home is structurally sound. Call us today!