What many people don’t realize is that soil erosion around your foundation is a big deal. It is serious enough, that you should do everything in your power to avoid it. There are several things that you can do to keep the soil from eroding around your home’s foundation. DuraTech Texas is here to share some simple things that homeowners can do to ensure the soil around their foundation is kept right where it belongs.
How Can We Prevent Soil Erosion Around Foundation?
Your home needs the soil around the foundation to support the concrete and keep your foundation secure. Following are some of the best ways that you can avoid soil erosion around your home’s foundation.
– Plant Shrubs: One of the best ways to keep the soil around the foundation of your home is to plant small shrubs to help keep the soil in place. Their roots don’t pose a risk to your foundation, and they can actually help to keep the soil where it should stay. It is a relatively inexpensive way to do it.
– Gutters: Many people don’t know how crucial it is to have gutters that are functioning properly installed on their roofline. When heavy rain comes, that much water can cause extensive damage to your foundation. You need a good gutter system that is fit to your home, that will make sure that water is directed away from the house.
– Drainage System: Having a French drain tied into your gutters can be an excellent way to get the water away from your home’s foundation when heavy rains happen. This will ensure the water is pushed even further away from your home. If you still struggle with standing water on the surface, you may have to install a second drainage system to remove it and keep your foundation safe.
– Grading: Another crucial part of keeping water away from your foundation is grading. The soil needs to be properly graded around your home. When this is done, it is important that homeowners don’t mess with this grading. The soil should be graded at a 3-6% grade away from the foundation. A negative slope can mean big trouble for any home.
– Check Plumbing: No one wants to have any plumbing trouble in their home. Sometimes, you may have a plumbing leak that goes undetected for a period of time because you can’t see it. If you have a plumbing leak, it can wreak havoc on your home and its foundation. Don’t hesitate to have your plumbing inspected and any necessary repairs taken care of to avoid this.
Foundation Repair Services & More in Crosby, Cypress, Friendswood & Greater Houston, Texas
If you’re worried about your home’s foundation, you can turn to DuraTech Texas to help you get it fixed. We specialize in foundation repairs and will ensure your home has the structural integrity it needs to be a safe place to live. Call us today!